As the true Winter Meetings start, here is a look at what the Cincinnati Reds wanted to accomplish in a FanSided Simulation.
Acting as the Cincinnati Reds for the FanSided Winter Meetings Simulation meant coming up with a plan on how to approach the needs for the team. Some ideas were obvious, like signing Drew Storen to a minor league deal so that he could spend the season rehabbing with the young reliever in the major league bullpen. Some ideas were more difficult, like how to find space for prospect Jesse Winker.
The idea is to represent the Reds. That means acting with payroll and realism in mind. The other teams are instructed to do the same.
Here are the goals for the team in the order that we prioritized them for the FanSided Winter Meetings Simulation:
Find a new home for Devin Mesoraco. Mesoraco signed a big contract with the Cincinnati Reds. Unfortunately, injuries derailed his career. The plan is to look at the Houston Astros where he could DH or the Colorado Rockies where he could be a dangerous back-up in limited playing time.
See if anyone is willing to pay a fair price for center fielder Billy Hamilton. The speedster is the most readily available outfielder of the three starters from last season. There are plenty of suitors.
Put third baseman Eugenio Suarez on the auction block and see who bites. He may never be worth more than he is right now. More importantly, top prospect Nick Senzel is nearly ready for his shot. Add in that the return for Jay Bruce, Dilson Herrera, is out of options and Suarez could be the one to move. They need to move someone so that Herrera can play.
More from Reds News
- Reds: 3 players who may lose their roster spot when Jesse Winker returns
- Reds vs. Pirates: Pitching preview, prediction, and more
- Reds appropriately designate reliever Brad Brach for assignment
- Reds: 3 reasons why Jonathan India will win NL Rookie of the Year
- Reds: Despite six straight series defeats, Cincinnati is still contending
Here are the goals in free agency for the Cincinnati Reds at the FanSided Winter Meeting Simulation:
- Sign Zack Cozart to a one year deal. The Reds dropped the ball by letting him hit free agency and now lack depth at shortstop. Also, after Jose Peraza, there is no one.
- Sign Scott Feldman to a one year deal. The Reds appear about 30 starts and 200 innings short in the starting rotation. However, Feldman could redeem himself and the Reds by coming back for a second season.
- Sign Drew Storen to a minor league deal. It would be great if he could come back at the end of the 2018 season so that his season wasn’t a complete loss.
The Reds are well positioned to take better advantage of an unpredictable off-season than most teams. Also, having a core in place on the roster makes this even better. However, hopefully, by the end of the simulation the rebuild will be over.