Frank Victores-USA TODAY Sports

Reds Clinch Playoff Spot Without Celebration

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

A Shin-Soo Choo single drives in Devin Mesoraco providing the winning run in a 10-inning, 3-2 win for the Cincinnati Reds. A mere moments later, the St. Louis Cardinals defeat the Washington Nationals and the Reds are assured a playoff spot.

There was a celebration…for the win (as you can see off to the right). As far as a celebration for clinching a playoff berth? One was not planned or anticipated.

There’s this from SI’s Jay Jaffe tweeted last evening…

Three of the last four years, so, yeah, they’ve been there before.

As much sewage as Dusty Baker gets tossed his way, I love this line from him…

“We’re looking to win the division, the wild card is consolation,” Baker said. “We’ve got a chance to still take the division. I think these guys want it.”

from C. Trent Rosecrans on USA TODAY

Oh, they want it all right. Two games back with five to go. Sure, the Reds have a pair remaining against the Mets as well as three more versus Pittsburgh. The Cardinals have two more with the Nats before finishing their season with three at Busch with the Cubs. Pittsburgh is at Wrigley for two before heading to Cincy for those three games against the Reds.

The Cubs could really do us a favor, huh?

But the odds are not in favor of the Good Guys. Coolstandings.com has the Reds as a 7% chance of winning the division. Just so you know, the Cards sit at 88.2% while the Pirates are listed at 4.8%.

So, for those that were at GABP last night, do you feel ripped off since there wasn’t a celebration? Or did you also act like you’ve been there before?

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Next Reds Game Full schedule »

Tags: Cincinnati Reds Reds Clinch Playoffs

comments powered by Disqus