As we prepare for the Super Bowl, I imagine many of us are thinking either about he big game OR having dreams of pitchers and catcher reporting. Me, I go with the latter. Just a little over a week until that day. Then, you know what that means. This.
Aren’t countdowns fun?
If not, then here’s a few things to discuss over the weekend.
1. So Rolen wants to play?
During the recently completed Reds Caravan, GM Walt Jocketty was asked about the possibility of Scott Rolen playing for the Reds in 2013. For weeks, we had been hearing that we might hear something “in a week or so”, or something along those lines.
Jocketty has this…(via Mark Sheldon)
“We don’t know for sure,” general manager Walt Jocketty said Friday of Rolen’s status. “It’s still up in the air.
“I hope to get it resolved this weekend. I’ve been busy this week dealing with the arbitration guys.”
There would need to be some roster jockeying to get this done. Add that it’s been stated that third base is Todd Frazier’s spot and Rolen doesn’t offer the defensive flexibility that Jack Hannahan and Jason Donald do. Things might become a little muddy.
Does the leadership aspect trump all here? Not sure.
A few to note:
- Moeller grad and former Red Andrew Brackman has signed on with the Chicago White Sox according to MLB Trade Rumors.
- Sheldon also reports that the Reds have inked catcher Miguel Olivo. It is a minor league deal and Olivo is a non-roster invitee to spring training.
- The Reds also signed former #2 overall pick Greg Reynolds. He was selected in that spot by the Colorado Rockies back in 2006 and has, to this point, carried the “bust” label. In case you’re wondering, the Reds picked 8th that year and selcted the now departed Drew Stubbs. Emmanuel Burriss was taken in the supplemental round (#33 overall) in that same draft.
3. Find any ballpark
Big hat tip to CBSSports.com’s Dayn Perry for this. Ever wonder where the location of every ballpark (MLB, MiLB and Independent Leagues) is? No longer have to do o. Perry found a map through Reddit Baseball that has this information. Take a spin for yourself…
View Baseball Stadiums in a larger map
4. ‘Signature Reds” at Reds Hall of Fame
Starting tomorrow at 10 AM, the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum will open a new exhibit: “Signature Reds”. The exhibit will display the signature from practically every player to don a Reds uniform since 1920. FOX 19 has this great video (and more) detailing some of the autographs contained in the exhibit.
5. ‘Local flavor’ on Baseball America’s Pre-season College All-America Team
Some time back, I informed you of both the Louisville and Kentucky baseball teams being ranked in BA’s Pre-season Top 25. Well, it seems UK has a budding star on their hands in Austin Cousino. Cousino was named to BA’s Pre-season College All-America’s 2nd Team. It isn’t just UK that has Cousino tied into Reds Country. He attended Dublin Coffman High School (northwest of Columbus, Ohio), too.
Some golf fans may know Dublin, Ohio as the home of Muirfield Village Golf Club which hosts The Memorial every year. The event is hosted by Jack Nicklaus.
If you go to Cousino’s player page on UKAthletics.com, you’ll see a gfreat many other honors Cousino has landed not only in the off-season, but last season as well. That is one impressive list of accolades he has earned.
The encouraging news for supporters of UK baseball: Cousino will be only a sophomore for the upcoming season, so you have at least two more years to enjoy his talents in Lexington.