There was much speculation today in regards to roster moves that Reds GM Walt Jocketty was making today. Here’s what is known…
1. Daniel Ray Herrera was claimed off waivers. The team that is thought to have claimed D Ray is the Milwaukee Brewers.
3. Mark Sheldon tweeted that he saw Edgar Renteria leave the clubhouse early yesterday. There is still some conjecture on his absence as to whether Renteria has left the team voluntarily or there is a pressing family issue he must attend to.
4. Fay also tweets that both Jordan Smith and Edinson Volquez have been called into the office of one Dusty Baker. I would think that would be worse than going to see the principal considering the last five games. That would lead you to believe that both are being sent down. Such was tweeted by the Reds.
5. At this point, it appears that Dontrelle Willis will not be the occupant of Herrera’s spot on the 40-man as he was placed on the DL. Louisville Bats voice Matt Stevens offered this to Lance McAlister after Bats skipper Rick Sweet told Stevens.
6. So who is the recipient of D Ray’s former spot on the 40-man roster? Pitcher Chad Reineke is considered as an option. And I think I’m going to throw in the name of Dave Sappelt here, too. Actually, I’d like that…a lot!
To add to this saga of moves were various rumors that the Reds had made a trade and that Jonny Gomes was released. I’ve not seen nor heard a single thing that is considered as solid to lead me to think one or both have occurred. That being said, we know Walt likes to keep things close to the vest and when the time is right, Jocketty (or someone within the Reds organization) will make the appropriate announcement.
Tags: Baseball Chad Reineke Cincinnati Reds Cincinnati Reds Roster Daniel Ray Herrera Dave Sappelt Dontrelle Willis Edgar Renteria Edinson Volquez Jonny Gomes Jordan Smith Matt Maloney MLB Todd Frazier